Devils Tower

Devils Tower

Monday, February 17, 2014

Are you staring at my rear end? Nova Project part 8

Been chipping away at the punch list trying to finish at least 3 things per weekend. 

 This weekend was getting the brakes done on the Nova and check out the rear end.

 I pulled the cover to inspect the differential and pull the axles, so I could replace the axle bearings and seals.  I figure this is a good time to clean the inside of the axle housing and change the fluid, side the history of this rear axle was unknown.
 I was pleasantly surprised to not find a bunch of shrapnel in the bottom.
If you look on the ring gear you will see the numbers 12 and 37.  These are the number of teeth on the ring and pinion gears.  If you divide 37 by 12, you come up with 3.08 for a final ratio.  I would have liked to have had a 3.36 but no heavier than the trailer is, this will work out great for the highway.  Also, it has 12 63 stamped which would be the original date of manufacturing.  Pretty good shape.  

This thing has more moving parts in it than my late model does.  I replaced all of the shoes, wheel cylinders, seals and bearings.  I had to reuse all of the original springs because the aftermarket replacement stuff was crap and didn't even come close to fitting.

I also ordered up a set of brand new drums since they were missing.  My local parts moron couldn't figure out which drums fit it, due to the fact that the magic internet box sitting on the counter, didn't tell them what would interchange with a 63 Nova.  FYI, just tell them it's for a 1967 Camaro and they are all over that.
Does that have A/C?
Also, one small achievement was to get the taillights installed with new lenses.  It wasn't cheap.  In fact it was highway robbery.
You own a wagon?? Gimme all your cash!!!
Every other Nova taillight lens is $35 set.  For the wagon it jumps to $89 per side.  Ouch…….
I feel like I should put tamper proof screws in it, to prevent someone snatching them.  Anyway, maybe if the temps stay up this week I can get something done.

Friday, February 14, 2014

Slaving away....Nova Update Part 7

I have been steadily working on putting the Nova back together.  The wiring has turned into a lot longer project than I expected.  Trying to marry up a stock Nova instrument panel, heater controls, wipers etc. , along with aftermarket gauges is not an easy task.  I spent a lot of time sourcing and changing parts that I didn't expect to have to change.  Every switch I touched fell apart.  I have a long weekend coming up, so hopefully I can have major progress to share with you soon.

In the meantime, here is a shot of the newly restored dash area.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

20,000 that's a reason to dance!

We just crossed over a major threshold.  20,000 folks have viewed our little cornucopia of worthless knowledge.  That, my friends, is a reason to bust out the Mexican dancing boots.

Thanks for viewing.........