Devils Tower

Devils Tower

Saturday, September 3, 2011

I saw the light........Part 1 Labor Day Thrash



Well, it is another 3 day weekend and I am hoping to get something done this weekend.  You see a pattern yet? 


 It's been so freaking hot, I can't seem to muster up any ambition.  Something like the 62nd day over 100 degrees.  The boy came home from college to try out our new swimming pool. ONe of the benefits of living in a gated community, I suppose.

We're gonna attack this in sections because there is a lot of crap to wade through. 


 First section is the raggedy license plate bracket and tag light.  This was a pretty easy swap, since almost 50 years later, they still make this exact part.  I couldn't believe it.  I picked this one up from Vintage Trailer Supply, but I am sure it could be had from a truck/trailer supply house.
Mounted with solid fasteners and has never been removed.
I drilled it off and the back of it is pretty corroded.  The main reason lights quit working  trailers is bad grounds.




This is what the skin looked like after removing the bracket.  You can still see the pencil marks from the factory.







This hole was so delicately made with loving hands.

  It was sharp and jagged.  This will take some clean up, even though you can't see it, I know it's there.
2 minutes with a rotary files works wonders.
Before

After.  It looks crooked, but it's not.  It's the angle of the camera.  I went back and remeasured just to make sure.
I think it looks better.  More tomorrow.