Follow along with the restoration of a Vintage 1963 Avalair Mark II travel trailer.
We have been searching for some time for a decent aluminum travel trailer that is light enough to tow behind our 1963 Chevy II Nova wagon. We are purely amateurs and I am sure that there are way more skilled craftsmen out there, but then again, they don't work for free. We may not be the best in the world, but we're way below average.
Sunday, March 23, 2014
This and that….Nova tow car rebuild Part 9
I have a self imposed deadline of May for the Nova tow car. I tend to do this to force me to stay on track. I have the proverbial punch list where I try and chip away at all the things left to do. One of the things I wanted to do was to add a deep pan to the transmission to aid in cooling and capacity. It's just added insurance.
I ordered a B&M deep pan kit.
Here are the two side by side. Check out the difference in size.
This is the stock filter configuration.
The kit came with a filter extension.
The new modified version. Now all that's left is just to install the pan.
The view I was waiting for....and now on to other things.....
I had to modify the transmission crossmember to accept the TH350.
Before, I could pull the crossmember, I had to build something to hold up the tranny until I could remedy this situation. I had an old rotor, some scrap tubing and a 1/2" bolt to add a little adjustability.
It appears the previous owner had tried to do the modification, but apparently, he did it to the wrong side because the bolts on the mount wouldn't line up.
I trimmed the flange on the chop saw and cleaned it up with a hand grinder.
I welded the seam to make sure it didn't separate.
You still can't remove the pan with the crossmember installed, but that's not a show stopper, now that I have the handy dandy tranny jack I just built.
On to other things......
I needed to clean up my rocker panel trim pieces before could install them, but they had 50 years of rock dings, scrapes and road rash.
They weren't horrible, but they did require some hammer and dolly work along with a gradual step up sanding process. They were probably anodized clear years ago, but chemicals and other elements have taken a toll on the finish.
The only thing left to do was to sand them and gradually increase the grit count on the sandpaper until it was ready to buff on a wheel.
I started with 150 and worked my way up to 1500. I lost interest about half way through, so I recruited Mama Root to try her hand at it while I did other things.
Anyway, it's not perfect, but it will pass for driver quality.