Actually, it was cracked, but I thought it would make it. I was wrong. It was kind of a crappy design anyway. It had 2 rails with grooves cut into them allowing the male side to slide in the groove. Probably cheaper to manufacture.
I always overbuild, so I started researching heavy duty drawer slides used in industrial applications. I looked at RV slides, firetruck slides etc and came up with a suitable substitute.
|Don't mind the words watermarked on the pic. Aparently, there are tons of people stealing pics of drawer slides....|
These slides are roller bearing with a 500 lb load limit, which is insane. That means my family can lay on the bed while I roll it in or out. We won't mention that fact.
These bad boys weigh 8 lbs each. They have a 5 year warranty, which says a lot. I know I won't even need the 500 lb capacity, it may have 30 lbs on it max. However, I love stuff that I don't have to touch ever again, so therefore, overbuild......
|After notching the front side of the bed, I was able to install the slides.|
|Then I added a 2x4 to attach the bed top.|
|This one fought me to the bitter end.|
|Next I decided to do away with my arch nemesis. These things piss me off to no end. Off with your heads!|
|There were 2 on the bed originally. They are always flopping down in the way, locking up the bed where you can't slide it out. Not any more.|
|I measured the legs and made retractible leg system out of 3/4 inch steel tubing. All three legs come up at the same time and stay out of the way.|
|Here they are folded up. If you are wondering why the bed is all of a sudden painted.....I got carried away after painting the legs. I still need to go to the hardware store and find some rubber feet to prevent chewing up the tile.|
|All folded up and it slides in and out with one hand. Way better. It wasn't as easy as it looked though. I had to modify every single piece of the bed and the air conditioner area. I labored over this stupid thing for approximately 10 hours.|