Devils Tower

Devils Tower

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Baby gets some new threads.......

I have been saving this for a while.  I knew that eventually it would get harder to find things to blog about, as time went on.  I am getting close to finishing the Avalair.  
We decided to bite the bullet and have all new upholstery installed.  We decided on using all new 5" foam.  The reason?  I am kinda creeped out at the thought of what could have happened on the mattresses over the last 50 years. 
Ewwwww............
We needed a 60's vibe on the material.  I absolutely oppose the use of any car related , Route 66, or Coca Cola fabric.  Thats fine for some people, but I am kinda a stickler for period correctness on certain things.  I am a geek for colors, textures, patterns etc.  I automatically revert to my childhood and remember how things looked and if it isn't right.....it eats on me.
We started looking at local upholstery suppliers, but we failed miserably.  All they had were trendy patterns.  If I would have wanted an animal print, I would have been in business.  So we started in with our good friend Google.  Google knows all.
We found the mecca of mid-century fabric world.
http://www.winterbeachmodern.com/
This place has designer fabrics for a fraction of the cost.  We bought a 18 yard roll of a very high end fabric for under $200.  It was originally $69/Yd.  The tag from the original designer was still on the roll.  Winter Beach Modern has a link to the manufacturer's website , so that you can verify the original cost. We paid around $7.00/Yd.  
These folks rock!  Very helpful and very reasonable.  This makes me want to start buying up old furniture and recovering it.  I just wish I could sew.  I hate farming out the sewing, that part gets expensive.  Here are a few pics of the new digs........
 The texture on this reminds me of a couch my grandma had when I was a kid.  I had to have it.  It takes me to my happy place.
  The pics are a little dark, but you get the idea. (You can click on the pics and they get bigger.  That makes it a little easier to see the patterns.) The colors look like 1963 to me.  They are a little hard to see in the pictures, but it has a rust tint in it that matches the original wall heater grates.
Check out the spiffy screen door.


Picked up some braided rugs from Kohl's. 


Pic of the couch with the extended bed.  We had to add a little to the cushions to make up the difference.
I find myself trying to make up things to work on.  We have been at this so long that it has become part of the daily ritual.  We're getting very, very close.

No comments:

Post a Comment