Devils Tower

Devils Tower

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Memorial Day Thrash...The one year anniversary edition

Well, I have had the Avalair under the knife for exactly one year this weekend.  I have learned a lot and looking back, I am glad I am not starting over.  The game plan is to get as much done as I possibly can since I have 5 days off in a row. 

I have several things I need to accomplish, the replacement of all copper LP lines, the fabrication of the air conditioner door, the removal of a lot of the roof seal on the front panel and cab corners.


I really can't post any pics of the propane lines, because it would be super boring, so I'll post pics of cool stuff that is visual.
For example.......hula hooping nuns are way cool.
Here's a few pics of the oxidized top cap and cab corners.

Sir Slops a lot has been here with his roof seal.

I bought new LP tanks, with the intention of painting them silver.  We'll see if I make it to that before vacation.  If not, I can always do it later.  I taped up the windows to minimize the buffing compound covering every crack and crevice.

Better?  I think so.  The rest of the skin is anodized, so buffing it just removes the old Texas and New Mexico dirt, but it still retains a satin finish.  The thing I miscalculated was the time it would take to buff this pig out.  It ended up taking about 2 1/2 days.  That was way more than I had figured.
Mama Root drug out her buffer again and made the windows shine like a new nickel.  Mucho better......
I accidentally buffed the name plate and I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to repaint it.  It looked awesome.
I  pulled the old Bargman lock to try and get our local locksmith to make a set of keys.  The previous owner lost the keys.  I gave up on our local locksmith, he's incompetent.  I ordered a new core from Vintage Trailer Supply.  It's faster than dealing with that moron.  The list is getting smaller every day.

2 comments:

  1. Alumibrite truck wash will speed the polishing up and will brighten the anodized at the same time....
    Looking very sweet, Root!!! Your doing a great job and I enjoy following your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good to know. I could probably do it again, when I have nothing else going. That way, I could spend more time on the details.

    Thanks

    Root

    ReplyDelete