Devils Tower

Devils Tower

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Oh, isn't that A-door-able...............

So, we are getting down to the end and I am starting to have to scrimp for projects to do.  This is kinda weirding me out, because I have had such a long list of projects, it kinda feels weird not having 190 things on the list. 
 I started a never ending project, polishing the aluminum stuff.  Whether it be the window frames or the screen door, it makes it hard to find a place to stop.
I started on the inside of the entry door. I had already removed the handle to try and get a key made for it.  Oh how I yearn for the old days, where people still had skills, like being a locksmith.  I ended up buying a tumbler set with keys, because the local locksmith was a full blown goob.
 I just polished it a little to see what it would look like.  I couldn't help myself, it was virgin aluminum, protected by the screen door for 49 years.  No corrosion, very few scratches.  Can you tell a difference?  Well, it just kept going.  I had to polish the frame of the screen door to match.  I guess it was easier to remove the screen, rather than trying to tape up the door.  Well, the inside looked like butt compared to the newly polished outside, so......I guess I hafta polish it too.
Check out the reflection....
I had removed all of the remnants of the old weatherstripping.  I found this at the local big box, no help for you, hardware store.
It was the only soft foam rubber seal I could find in black.  I bought a roll of good old American made metal screen for the door and installed it. Still need to do a little cleanup and hand polishing.
Looking pretty decent.
I started looking for keys etc. for the main entry door lock.  During this time I found a common thread about the Bargman L66 lock sets.  There were tons of people talking about the cast pot metal lock mechanism causing them to be locked out of their trailers.  Apparently, this piece breaks without warning leaving the unsuspecting owner stranded outside.
  I started thinking about this and I came to the conclusion that this would definitely happen to me, at the most inopportune time.  Possibly, when a grizzly was chasing me or in the pouring down rain during a lightning storm.
  Vintage Trailer Supply has a replacement piece that is machined from billet aluminum.  That alleviates the chance of it just randomly breaking.  It's a $20 one time investment, but it seems like a smart move.


3 comments:

  1. wow!! this looks amazing!!! Gratz on all ya'lls hard work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it. I too become polarized at times, but life is too short too fret over it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked it. I too become polarized at times, but life is too short too fret over it.

    ReplyDelete