|GO ROOT GO !!! YOU CAN FINISH IT !!!!! WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!|
I took this week off for 2 reasons, my daughter had surgery and we figured we could work on the Avalair after she was feeling better.
|One of the many screens we did.|
I cut out 14 flat patterns and sort of figured out what we needed. I wanted lightweight, but sturdy. I opted to use 2024 T3, .050" thick aluminum. This is way heavier than I need, but I don't like to do things more than once.
After laying out the flat pattern I de-burred all of the edges. This handy little gizmo will save you hours of filing. It is used primarily aircraft sheet metal shops.
|Just run the V down the edge of the material.|
One of my favorite places to drop by when I am in Wichita, KS, is "The Yard." They have tons of new/used aircraft sheet metal stuff for sale. You can get anything I talk about, sheet metal tool wise, at the yard. http://www.yardstore.com/
I just figure out first, where I am going to bend the metal to a 90, mark that first. I decided on .750" or 3/4". By the way, I don't like fractions. Carpenters use fractions when you can fudge 1/8", we keep closer tolerances than that.
Converting to decimals is way easier. If you hate math, like I do, the easiest way to think of decimals is in terms of money. A 1/4" is a quarter or .250", a 1/2" is half dollar or .500". Get it? There won't be a test.
I like to use Uni-Bits on sheet metal, the make nice round holes. I measured my curtain rods with my calipers and put a piece of tape on the bit to mark where to stop. It's a cheap drill stop.
To keep it simple, I used half of .750" which is .375". I did the same thing on the edge distance from the ends. I just scribed the other direction. Now, all I have to do is drill where the lines intersect. Easy, huh?
(Some of you may find this rudimentary, but a lot of folks work in offices and don't have a clue about hand tools.)
I plan on using a 3/16" pop rivet to attach these to the walls. That equates to a #10 drill bit.
With that all done I need to bend this up. I don't have a sheet metal break here, so I opted for the hillbilly method.....the vise. I clamped it up and used a piece of wood the bend it over. I used duct tape to cover the jaws of the vise. It's crude, but it worked.
Now, I need to remove all of the scratches etc. that has marred up the aluminum, I did this by polishing them up with a Roloc Scotchbrite pad.
Now for paint. I painted these with a satin finish, just to kinda make it blend. The curtain rods will be painted the same color. I skipped all the paint pics. You get the idea.