Devils Tower

Devils Tower

Friday, July 6, 2012

AVALAIR'S BIG ADVENTURE, THE DAY BEFORE

I'll be honest with you, I feel a bit nauseous right now.  I have that uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach, like I am forgetting something.
This is not my first shake down run.  I have been building hot rods for 30 years now and I have had plenty "maiden voyages."  None have been encompassing 8 states and close to 3,000 miles.  I usually have a few runs around town to see what shakes loose.  Not this time. 
 Over a year ago, we set a deadline date.  We have to or we would never finish. We thought it would be plenty of time.  I find myself watching my countdown timer app on my phone.  I have 12 hours left as I type this. 

 We decided to take my parents, sister, brother-in law and their kids to Yellowstone.  I am a firm believer in seeing everything the U.S.A has to offer before traveling abroad.  That's overseas, not a traveling broad.......

There's a difference.......

The plan is to leave from Oklahoma then travel through KS, NE,SD, ND,WY, UT, CO then back to KS and home to OK.
All without a full on "cage match" between family members.  2 weeks is a long time to spend with anyone, especially from the same gene pool.
In the red corner hailing from Oklahoma City, at 5 foot 9 inches tall.......The undefeated, uncontested  terror of terrors .....The Amazing Fighting Family Members!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have 16 days to cover some of the coolest sites in the American parks system.  We are taking 2 travel trailers and 1 mini motorhome.  We should average about 6 hours and under each driving day.  Some days we will have a base camp and travel around in our pickup, but most require some driving.  My lovely assistant (Mama Root), who is a big time planner, has a play by play itenerary.  We generally like to travel with no particular place to go, but in order for us to make our reservation deadlines etc, we have to stay on course.  I fully expect to drive all this way only to find a sign similar to the one at Walley World in the movie "Vacation".







No comments:

Post a Comment